Well it has almost been 4 weeks since I committed to be an Aide at Howard R. Driggs Elementary for the 2010/2011 school year. I was a little nervous about the commitment and wondering if I would have enough “ME TIME”. I am LOVING every minute of it. The girl I am helping is in the 1st grade and she is the sweetest little thing. I work with her 4 days a week for 3 ½ hrs a day… so not too bad. I also watch the playground before school for 15 minutes each day to make sure the kids behave and are getting along. It has been fun to get to know some kids out there that come and stand by me in the mornings that I normally wouldn't get to know. My boys are so cute, when they see me they come over and give me a hug…even my 6th grader… I guess I must not be that bad after all. This past week the principal called and asked me to be in charge of getting a boy to his 4th grade class each morning that is in a wheel chair because he has muscular dystrophy. I have only helped him two days and I can already tell I am going to love and learn a lot from him. He has the best attitude and it is so fun to get to see him before I start my day in the 1st grade class. I still have my afternoons and Fridays free so that is good....LUNCH anyone??? It has made me become more organized since I still have to get things done. I love, love going out to morning recess every day with the first graders because than I get to see Sadie and her buddies interact at recess. I have really grown to respect the principal, secretary and the teachers I work with everyday. They really do love our kids and it is amazing to see how much they do for them. It has definitely been an eye opener to see how much time and work goes into teaching. Here is to the next 8+ months…I hope they are as good as this last one =)
Wednesday, September 15, 2010
WORKING AT DRIGGS
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
I'm glad you're liking your job.
Sounds like the ideal job for you. Nice it's PT and you still have lunch & afternoons for your ME time.
glad you like it emily! i married into a family of teachers...it is AMAZING the work/hours that go into it all (for a terribly LOW salary). have fun--keep an eye on the nielson girls for me. ;O)
You have such a great attitude towards everything you attempt, that is why you are so successful in all you do. I for one am glad there is another friendly face at Driggs keeping an eye on all these cute kids!!
I just love you! :)
Post a Comment