Saturday, January 10, 2015

~~SAIRAH'S BAPTISM~~

 My sister inlaw Sairah was baptized last Saturday.  It was such a spiritual meeting.  Brett asked me to talk on the Holy Ghost and Rachel played a beautiful piece on the piano.  Although I wasn't super thrilled when he asked me to talk because I don't like to talk in front of groups of people, I was so glad for the opportunity!  I am so grateful for the Holy Ghost and what it is in my life! :)  We are so grateful for Sairah's decision to be baptized and that she is part of our family!  We sure love you Sairah! :)
 
I wanted to put my talk on the blog:

When Brett asked me to speak on the Holy Ghost at Sairah’s baptism I thought why me?  I am probably the last person that should speak.  I just don’t feel as knowledgeable as some people in this room that probably could have done a lot better job.  But I am honored that he would ask me because I have a very strong testimony of the Holy Ghost.  I have been comforted several times through someone getting a blessing when they are sick and just feeling that comfort during their blessing that they will be OK.  I have felt it when I was a teenager and my dads car stalled on me up Parleys canyon and I just walked on the freeway at night alone and sang hymns and waited for someone to help. I have seen it as a warning when Rachel right before we totaled our van decided to get out of the front seat of the car and get in the back not knowing that we were going to get in an accident just knowing something told her to and she listened.   I have listened to promptings when I am told to do something for a friend or someone and know that they needed a text or call from me that day and I was the one to call at just the right time.  I have recently felt it when I was told that I would be the next young womens president to the girls in our ward and it gave me time to prepare and be ready for this calling.  I know that as a member that has been given the Holy Ghost that I need to live a life that it can be present and able to help me.

We are the ones that learn and live the gospel. The Spirit will testify of the truth to us, but it will not force us to believe. We make that choice.  The Spirit may give us a feeling of urgency about doing something, but it will never force us to do it. We make that choice. We are the ones who make choices. We are the ones who obey or disobey. We choose our attitudes. (But we can choose to ask for our attitudes and desires to be changed.) We are to actively participate in our growth and development, by seeking learning by study and by faith. We are to be diligent and committed with all our heart, might, mind, and strength.

Knowing Sairah for just a few weeks I am so impressed already with her love and devotion she shows Brett and our family.  You have taught me so much about courage and faith of someone that was willing to leave your country and give America and this Nelson family a shot.  We truly are so blessed to have you in our lives and are so grateful for your decision to be baptized because I know it will only bring you so much happiness like it has me and my family. 

For a gift for Sairah the Deans wanted to give you a blanket because we can never have enough comfy soft blankets to lounge around with.  I found this poem I thought was fitting that I would like to read in closing:

Today I will receive the gift of the Holy Ghost ~~ What a great gift, I am luckier than most ~~  It’s not a gift wrapped in package and bow~ ~ It's a feeling inside that helps me to know ~~ When I need an answer all I need to do is pray ~~ And the Holy Ghost will help me and show me the way ~~ This blanket makes me feel safe and warm inside ~~ It resembles the holy ghost who inside me resides ~~ This blanket reminds me when it wraps around me tight ~~ To keep the commandments and always choose right!   I say this in the name of Jesus Christ Amen!

1 comment:

Melanie Chambers said...

I love catching up with the updates. Maybe i should get on that. Hmm...we shall see!!!