We had Stake Youth Conference up at Reid Ranch the middle of June. It was so fun to spend time with all our youth (especially Jake and Will). We had 20 girls and 14 boys come. The boys slept in tents and the girls slept in the lodge which the rooms were awesome. They had 4-6 girls in a room with a made bed for everyone and private bathroom (shower, toilet and sink). How awesome is that? It sure was nice being a girl this weekend, haha :) The theme was PRESS FORWARD. They had 3 different stations. 1- GAZE UPWARD - this was a speaker we had in the middle of a field one night that talked about the big picture and that Heavenly Father and Jesus are all around us. They love us and they know everything. 2- LOOK INWARD - this was a station they had where the stake presidents wives had the kids build houses with graham crackers and other supplies and then threw things at them and poured water on them and tried to see if they could with stand things and have a strong foundation. 3- REACH OUTWARD - this was my favorite station. They had asked all the current missionaries in our stake to answer a couple of questions about their missions. Here are Rachel's answers...
~~~What is the hardest thing about your mission? Okay the hardest part about my mission- The hardest part is probably when I bear my testimony as strongly as I can, and I can feel the spirit testifying, and then they reject what I say. It's scary to put yourself all the way out there, testifying as strongly as you can, and knowing they felt the spirit, but they don't want to accept it. It's really frustrating. But with every rejection, I learn something new and it really does end up strengthening my testimony.
~~~What is the best thing about your mission? The best part - Wow there's so many things to choose from... so I'm going to choose three haha. I really love studies! It's been so cool to really really study the gospel. It's something I'll never get to do ever again. I love the members! They are my family away from my family. It is something really amazing to be able to be so loved by people I've never met. And especially up here in the Spanish Program, we only have two ward we'll ever cover, so we get to the know the members really well. I absolutely love it. And I love teaching through the spirit. Teaching someone and knowing that what you are saying is true..it gives me a fire and I love it so much! Those are only three things, but I love EVERYTHING about my mission. Best best best best decision I could have ever made. Love you! Hermana Dean
I loved this room because there was such a sweet spirit in that room. All the missionaries photos were hung around and they had soft music playing and to see the kids go around a read all about the missionaries was so sweet and awesome. They had us write a letter to 3 missionaries and it was so fun to see the kids really take it serious and write these letters. There was definitely a sweet spirit in that room! :)
PRESS FORWARD - was the last station. We listened to a couple Brother and Sister Erlich speak. It was very touching because Brother Erlich was born deaf and he went totally blind at the age of 40. He told his story in sign and sister Erlich told it in the microphone. He said on their first date he took her to the Bountiful temple and told her to feel the door knob on the door. It is in a beautiful flower shape. Sister Erlich said she had never noticed that before. Brother Erlich helped her stop and really notice things around her. Their message was super sweet and the kids loved it! We ended the evening with a testimony mtg with our individual wards. It was so sweet to listened to several youth and leaders bear their testimonies. Those bonding experiences are so important for our youth to experience together. I shared my testimony on the importance of keeping the word of wisdom. I shared a few examples of people in my life that have chosen that the rules or following the word of wisdom and commandments has been too much for them so they don't follow them. In the end their lives are full of sadness and I know those choices have only led to that sadness. I know if we follow the commandments and guidelines of the church it can only bring us happiness! :)
Other activities at Reid Ranch were: Canoeing, horseback riding, soccer, sand volleyball, swimming, frisebee, archery. It was a great few days being with our awesome, fun youth! Man I sure love my calling. It is the absolute best!!! :)
No comments:
Post a Comment