Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Christmas Traditions...

My friend Nikki has been posting her families Christmas traditions for almost a week now and I have really enjoyed reading what they do. I decided to write down our Christmas traditions:

* The kids draw names for each other and we all go to the store and Mike takes 2 kids and I take 2 kids and they help pick a $10 gift for the one they picked. Mike buys a gift for me and I buy a gift for Mike. It is alot of fun especially trying to stay away from each other at the store.

* Bowling on Christmas Eve Day with the Nelsons. We have done that for as long as I can remember. My dad brings coins and gives money for strikes, spares, gutters, low score, high score. It is alot of fun. We all bring some snacks and hang out for a few hours. The funny thing is we see the same families there every year. I guess other people have the same tradition.

* We always put all our Santas on our fireplace. (I love how they are all placed together.) I always put the olive wood nativity I got in Jerusalem on the kitchen table so each meal we eat together we can be reminded of our Savior and why we celebrate Christmas.

* Christmas Eve the kids always open their present from me under the tree. It isn't too exciting because it is always pajamas. I sure love picking them out some new PJs each year.

* My mom gives the kids an advent calendar over Thanksgiving. It is fun to take turns opening a piece of chocolate each day until Christmas.

* Mike puts the lights on our Christmas tree and the kids decorate it all by themselves while I set up the Santas. I love to see what a GREAT job they do.

* We alternate Christmas Eve dinner with our families. If we have Thanksgiving with one family we have Christmas Eve with the other. It works out so nice because than on both days the kids aren't overly tired. (The year it is at my house we act out the Nativity)

* Christmas Day can be a little crazy but we love getting to see both families. We always go to my house for sweetrolls and Christmas egg casserole, than to Mikes for sandwiches and funeral potatoes. We try to get home around 5:00 so the kids can play with their toys.

* We always go downtown and see the Christmas lights at the temple. After we like to go and get hot chocolate.

9 Days until Christmas!!!

14 comments:

Rachel D said...

Thank you for giving us the best christmas possible. I couldn't imagine christmas any different way, with any different loving family. Thanks!

melanie33 said...

fun traditions! Its nice to see that someone else has a crazy christmas day like we do! sometimes i wonder if i would just rather stay home because all the activity makes everyone so wired! But it's just too fun to have family around to resist!

dave&abby johnson family said...

How fun! We want to see you guys! We should get together!!

Natalie said...

What a fun array of traditions! I love the bowling on Christmas Eve Day with your fam. Your parents are so great and I can totally see your dad handing out money to the kids! I remember going to Gma Dean's each year Christmas Day for a big lunch and gifts. Cute Gma Dean.

Enjoy the season!! We need to get together after Christmas for sure.

Erika said...

It is fun to hear what other families do for the holidays. We do the Christmas eve jammy thing too. I love it, but I think the kids sometimes are hoping for something other than the usual PJ's. Oh well.

Tricia said...

I loved reading this post! Hearing other peoples family traditions are so fun! Sounds like we have a lot of the same ones too....especially giving the kids new Christmas pj's! I love Christmas!!!

Amy said...

Thanks so much for sharing your traditions. You and Mike both have such neat families, and a wonderful one of your own. :) I love your santa collection! After seeing yours years ago, you inspired me to start my own.

Evie said...

I loved reading your Christmas traditions! I like the idea of shopping together at the same store!:)

Ruthann & Lynn said...

I love your traditions. I think the bowling sounds like a lot of fun. xoxo Ruthann

Weisenbeck Family said...

What fun traditions you guys have. I can't wait to start some with my girls as they get older.

Nikki said...

Em...what cute traditions!!! My favorite is the nativity on the kitchen table...that is so sweet. And, how cute is Rachel's comment?? Oh my gosh, you should be proud. Great parenting, Emily, great parenting!! Merry Christmas!! Love Ya!...

janae said...

Fun traditions! we do the p.j's as well, I always looked forward to it as a kid and I love getting them for my family now. Did you find out what time tomorrow night is?

Melanie Chambers said...

so cute, Em.

Murds said...

How fun to actually have all the tradions listed!