Friday, February 12, 2010

GRANDMA BONNIE NELSON

For some reason I can't sleep it is probably because Mike is camping with the scouts and when he is gone I have a hard time settling down which is amazing because normally I am in bed and asleep by at least 10:30. We had testimony meeting on Sunday and a man got up and talked about how he released the spirit of his wife's grandmother before she died. It made me think of my grandma Bonnie Nelson. Her death was a similar experience for me. (Who knows why I was thinking about this, but I was so I thought I would get up and write down some thoughts.)


My parents were on their mission in Jamaica September 2002 and my grandma Bonnie got really sick(my dads mom) so she had to be hospitalized. It was quite sudden so we were all very surprised. She hadn't eaten much and was getting very frail and the doctors said she wouldn't make it much longer. My parents had a hard time getting a flight so we were concerned they weren't going to get to say goodbye. The doctors kept telling us she wouldn't make it through the night until the day they were supposed to arrive and if she did it would be a "miracle"...but she did. My parents came immediately to the hospital from the airport where all the Nelson grandkids were there and my dads sisters and their spouses. Both of my dads sisters didn't marry men that hold the priesthood so we wanted my dad there to give her a blessing to help release her spirit. That was an experience I will never forget about the priesthood and how grateful I am that we have it in our lives. When my parents walked in the room with their mission badges on the spirit was so strong you could just feel it everywhere. It was such a relief that they made it and my dad could give her the blessing she was waiting for and release her spirit. We all held hands around her bed and we were crying so hard. We sang "Love at Home". He gave such a nice blessing and said, "I am here now you can go. I now release you." It was literally minutes and she took her last breath while we all stood there and watched. It was a very spiritual experience one that I want my kids to read one day and realize that the priesthood is real and it has such an impact in our lives. That was an experience I will always remember as a strong priesthood testimony builder. I am so grateful to be surrounded by the priesthood and be able to have it in our lives.


Now I think I will try to go to sleep or at least lay there and watch "mindless" TV.

1 comment:

Murds said...

Thanks for the reminder of that experience. I remember holding grandma's hand when she took her last breath. She was an amazing woman.