Monday, May 12, 2014

~~RACHEL'S MOTHER'S DAY TALK~~

What a great gift I got from Rachel for Mother's Day!!! It makes me so happy to think I have had such an influence in her life :)  Being a mom is the greatest JOY :) I LOVE YOU Rachel!!!

 Well let’s start off by saying Happy Mother’s Day to all you amazing women in this ward. Every single man, teenager and child in this room would be lost without you and you’re incredible example, so thank you.  Today I’ve been asked to speak on how my mom has helped me through high school.  High school is the place where we, as clueless 15, 16, 17, and 18 year olds are forced to go through incredibly tough experiences, make mistakes, find out who our true friends are, and eventually figure out who we want to be for the rest of our lives.  It’s a scary thought.  Three short years ago I was terrified of going into high school. I was lucky enough to have the most incredible friends anyone could ask for.  I had friends that were on the cheerleading squad, captains of the soccer team, starters of every football season, on Dance Company.  I was so amazingly blessed with such a good support system.  However, for the first two and a half years of high school, I tried and tried to figure out which group I belonged in.  I tried out for the soccer team, I did golf the golf team, I tried being on the track team, I even contemplated in becoming a cheerleader.  I had all these different groups of incredible people laid out in front of me, and I could never figure out quite where I belonged.  And it was really really hard. It took its toll on me.  I grew up thinking that in high school you’re a part of a team or a squad and you spent every day with them.  I never had that.  Yeah all my friends were amazing and I feel so blessed to have had them all; however my mom really was the only person who truly understood how I felt.  Even though in the moment I felt she didn’t understand, she really did.  And without her being there for me, I don’t know how I would’ve gotten through these past few years. 
She taught me to be confident; always complimenting me, always being interested in my life and what was going on, always telling me that she loved me.  Throughout these daily acts that she did, it built so much confidence in me and I eventually realized my path just isn’t meant to be a part of a team or a squad and I grew perfectly content with that.  She taught me I don’t need a team or a squad to feel good about myself.  I grew up watching her choose to exercise; choose to take care of herself.  She had no coach telling her to go on a run, so why did I need one?  I grew to absolutely love running and it just made me feel so good about myself.  Even though I wasn’t on a team or a squad I still felt, in some way, needed. She taught me to be a hard worker and if I want something, I need to earn it.  She has countless stories of all her world travels she did with her friends, and how she earned every penny to do it.  I was able to get all sorts of jobs and save up my money.  She’s taught me to be kind to everyone.  We are always groaning after church as she talks to everyone she sees in relief society haha.  But it’s taught me to be kind to everyone I see because you never know what someone is going through.  She’s taught me how important my family is.  We’re always playing board games, going skiing, going to our cabin, doing something together.  And it’s made me realize that by the end of high school, you have a few true best friends, but your family is truly who matters most.  Spend time with your family members, build relationships with them, and appreciate them.  High school is temporary, your family is not.  She’s also taught me to always stay strong in this gospel.   A few years ago I knew I needed to serve a mission and it’s been my high intentions since then.  I remember one time in specific that I was wavering back and forth if a mission truly was for me.  I was talking to my mom about it and she started tearing up; which is NEVER a good sign. And she said you are the strongest, most confident girl in this gospel that I have ever met.  There is no way you can pass the opportunity of changing so many people’s lives.  Since then I’ve never even thought about not going on a mission. 
Mothers, you have an impact on your child’s life more than you will ever know.  Your support and the words you say will get them through some of the hardest times of their lives.  Anyone can pray to our Father in Heaven and can feel His peace, however a Mother is physically here; she is here to hug you and tickle your back and talk face to face to.   She is our Earthly Savior.  M. Russell Ballard stated “Love your mother. Respect her. Listen to her. Trust her. She has your best interests at heart. She cares about your eternal safety and happiness. So be kind to her. Be patient with her imperfections, for she has them. We all do.” End quote.  Build a relationship with your Mother.  Get to the point of wanting to make her proud, wanting her to look at you with so much respect, wanting her know that she’s done the absolute best that she could’ve done in getting you through this part of your life. 
In contrast, I’m lucky enough to be going up to Utah State in the fall.  I couldn’t be more excited!  It will be really hard, there’s going to be a lot of changes and a lot of good byes in these next few months; however I can honestly say that I have such an overwhelming feeling of peace.  Because of the knowledge of my Savior that I’ve gained throughout my high school experiences, I’m not so scared about this next chapter of my life; I have comfort for what’s in store for my life. I know that Utah State is where I’m meant to go, I know I am supposed to serve a mission next summer, and I know more than ever that I have an incredible Savior who loves me and who sent me the most amazing example to strive to be like every day.  Abraham Lincoln once said “All that I am or hope to be, I owe to my angel mother.” And I couldn’t agree more.  Happy Mother’s Day Mom, I love you. In the name of Jesus Christ amen. 

No comments: